Wednesday, January 29, 2014

10 Ways Running 100 Miles Over Mountains is like a Weekend in VEGAS!

I saw Little Miss Sunshine (yes, for the first time) a couple nights ago.  It's the second film I've seen in the past few months with a speaker who doesn't live his message (Donnie Darko was the other).  I know I'm not Jim Cunningham (Patrick Swayze's charater) nor am I Richard Hoover (although I'm not too far off of Richard Hoover's "don't stop, no matter what the circumstances dictate" mantra), but sometimes I worry about losing my audience being overtly content & happy many days.  Henceforth, I'm going to work to integrate this blog into three types of posts:

1- life lessons (stemming from the adversity I've faced)
2- adventurous stories (tall tales, many running related)
3- silly perspective posts (every so often to lighten the mood)

It's going to be a unique soup of posts, but there you have it.  I'm all over the place sometimes, so this will better represent me too.  Without further ado...




10 WAYS RUNNING 100 MILES OVER MOUNTAINS IS LIKE A WEEKEND IN VEGAS!
10. Some people stop in the light of day, but many will be pulling an all nighter.





9. Waking up the morning after, we all ask ourselves why we just did that to ourselves.
"Never, ever again!  This time I mean it!  For reals!"



8. The longer we keep going, the less we seem to care when we throw up on a friend, on our shoes or in one of our own bags (shout out to Puck!).


7. Friends always make it more fun.  They can also validate and legitimize your stories of what really happened.



6. Aid station hopping can be just as fun as club/bar hopping.


5. After a crazy night, all we want to do the next day is lounge by the pool.



4. You're either going to have a good time, a great horror story, or both. Chances are you'll see some $#!^ you've never seen before.


3. The wetter you get, often times, the better the story is... TWSS?



2. You might have a crazy naked dude *chase you with a crowbar.
*In the 100, you're probably just hallucinating. Probably.

1. the cougars love the night life!
(Photo Credit: Steve Winter/National Geographic)



BONUS: you might end up passing out on the bathroom floor in either.

Photo Credit: Coach Jen Vogel - Instagram.com/UltraIronJen 

BONUS: in both, there's always a photo or two we hope doesn't end up on social media!
What is Chamoun doing here???
Don't worry Chamoun, this isn't my best look either.


What have you experienced in a 100 miler (or Vegas) that you can relate to both activities!?  Hope you enjoyed the list...

No comments: